Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 6: Beatitudes, Golan Heights, Jericho and on to Jerusalem

Shalom, Ya'll...

Day 6, which was Sunday January 29th, began with Mass at the Mt. of Beatitudes.  We reflected upon how important the Beatitudes are as they really give us direction from God as to how we are really suppose to live our lives. 

After reading an excerpt from a blog sent to me by my dear wife back home, I asked the pilgrims a question: how many of us could name all of the Beatitudes?  No one could...including Fr. Peter and myself.  So, I challenged all of us to learn the Beatitudes over the next however many months.  Not only to learn them, though, but to live them.  Seems important enough that we should spend some time learning those, don't you think?

After Mass, we departed the beautiful, peaceful, and holy Mt. of Beatitudes for our journey toward Jerusalem.


We then drove up to the Golan Heights for a view of the entire Sea of Galilee.  It was a bit cloudy, but we were still able to see the entire length of the lake.


From there, we went down the "back way" on our way to Jericho.  I cannot describe the journey down those hills, but the video...if I am ever able to upload it...will tell it all!  Some on the bus had their eyes closed the entire time.  What a thrill.

We did survive, however, and arrived at the oasis and oldest city in the world, Jericho to have lunch and view the Mt. of Temptation.  It is believed that the devil took Jesus to the top of this mountain to tempt Him.  We did not go up to the top, we just viewed from a distance.


After lunch, we left and went on to Jerusalem.

Day 6, for the most part, was a day of travel and the viewing of historical sites.  It wasn't an overwhelming spiritual day, as some have been, but it was very important from the aspect of gaining perspective and insight to the land and the times of Jesus.  We spent a good amount of time on the bus...saw various terrain there in the area, and we even saw some bedouin out the window tending their sheep.

Stay tuned for Day 7:  it will prove to be just the opposite, as it was a powerful day spent mostly in Bethlehem...the place of Jesus' birth.  I will get to that as soon as I can.  In the meantime, I hope I am able to post a video soon if I can somehow overcome the interenet problems.

Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment